Remember the dog breed quiz from March 10th, 2010? Well, here are the answers:
1) Which type of terrier has a longer body and longer legs than of any other AKC terrier breeds? Irish Terrier – the only colors of this breed are red, red-wheaten, or wheaten.
2) Which red and white dog breed (white with red patches) was recently recognized by the AKC in 2009? Irish Red & White Setter
3) Which AKC dog breed is nicknamed “the clown of the spaniel family”? Irish Water Spaniel
4) Which AKC dog breed was originally bred to run the wheel of the turnspit of a hot kitchen? The turnspit is a wheel in which the dog runs in order to turn the meat cooking over the fire. Glen of Imaal
5) Which AKC dog breed was known for its large size and for its ability to hunt wolves? Irish Wolfhound – has a Roman and ancient Irish history… see our previous post at https://americandogblog.wordpress.com/2010/03/07/information-about-the-irish-wolfhound/
6) Which AKC dog breed in the Sporting Dog Group has a rat-like tail covered with short curls (almost looks hairless)? Irish Water Spaniel
7) Which old terrier AKC dog breed is not only good at hunting vermin but is also a great all-around farm dog who is good at guarding and herding? Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
8 ) Which AKC dog breed in the Sporting Dog Group started out as a red and white breed but came only in a solid red color in the late 1800s? Irish Setter
9) Which AKC dog breed has the softest, silkiest, and waviest terrier coat and comes in a blue color? Kerry Blue Terrier – named for County Kerry, Ireland where they originated.
10) What do all these AKC dog breeds have in common? They’re all Irish!
Happy Saint Patrick’s Day!!