Danger – Cocoa Mulch is Poisonous to Your Dog

If you have a dog, beware of purchasing cocoa mulch for your garden. While most dogs do not care for it, some dogs absolutely love to eat it. And if your dog eats it, he could die. Cocoa mulch is poisonous to your dog. It contains cocoa bean shells which contains a substance deadly to dogs, called theobromine.

You may have heard that you should never give your dog chocolate – especially dark chocolate or any product made with cocoa powder. Like cocoa mulch, chocolate is made from the cocoa bean and contains theobromine.

If you suspect that your dog has eaten cocoa mulch or any other product containing cocoa, take your dog to the vet immediately. Dogs who eat a large amount of cocoa at one time may experience vomiting and/or diarrhea several hours after eating eat. Other symptoms include increased heart rate, restlessness, muscle spasms, excessive panting, seizures, and/or coma. What is a large amount? It depends on your dog’s size and weight and your dog’s sensitivity. Dogs who eat small portions of cocoa over time may not exhibit immediate symptoms, but they could eventually develop seizures and other health problems.

Advertisements

Tags: ,

Bark at Us

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: