What to Do If You Suspect Your Dog Has Eaten Poison

Sometimes dog get into and eat things which are not good for them.  It could be your favorite pair of shoes, the trash, or even one of your household plants.  While many things may be relatively harmless, there are some things which are downright dangerous to your pet.  How do you know which is which?  What do you do if you find that your dog has eaten something harmful?  Well, we know a perfect website you can visit to find all your answers.

The ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) is a very informative and helpful resource.  They have pages of information dedicated specifically to their Animal Poison Control Center.  We have outlined three of the most important aspects of the Animal Poison Control Center below:

Prevention
Preventing your dog from being poisoned is the first and most important thing you can do.  The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center gives you great tips on how to do this. For example, review their list of harmful substances around the home and be sure that these things are always inaccessible to your pets.  Another thing you can do is keep a first aid kit for your pet handy.  The ASPCA website has a list of things you should keep in their first aid kit.

Identify
But even with prevention methods in place, accidents sometimes still happen.  If you know what your dog has eaten but you’re not sure whether it is harmful or not, visit the ASPCA website to find out. They have a comprehensive list of foods, plants, and everyday household products which may be harmful to your pet.  If the item your dog ate is not listed or if you are not sure what your dog ate, you can call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center for some helpful advice.   (However, if your dog is exhibiting any abnormal behavior, skip the call to the Animal Poison Control Center and take your dog to the vet immediately.)  The Animal Poison Control Center can be reached at 888-426-4435.  Please note that there is currently a $65 consultation fee so have your credit card handy along with as much information on what your dog ate and when.

Seek Treatment
If the Animal Poison Control Center has confirmed that your dog ate something potentially harmful, follow their advice and take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.  If you confirmed through the website that your dog has eaten something potentially harmful, take your dog to the vet immediately.  The website does not outline treatment for poisons.  If your vet is not close by and the situation is dire, you may call the Animal Poison Control Center.  But if your vet is close, it is best to get your dog to the vet right away rather than call the Animal Poison Control Center first.

Advertisements

Tags: , , , ,

Bark at Us

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: