Pond Scum – Dangerous to Dogs

I don’t allow my dogs to swim in areas with pond scum, but only because I thought it was disgusting.  But it turns out that it might be dangerous as well.  One of the regular blogs we read, Blog Paws, has reported that blue-green algae (Cyanobacteria) blooms are toxic to dogs.  And with all this hot weather we are having, blue-green algae is more common.  In fact, from the report on Blog Paws, there is a dangerous spread two hours away from where I live in Kansas.

What are blue-green algae blooms?  Blue-green algae consists of microscopic bacteria and it generally grows naturally on the still surfaces of water.  Casual exposure can cause a rash or other skin irritations.  It can also cause irritation to the eyes, allergic reactions, or an upset stomach if it is ingested.  It can cause more severe symptoms or even death upon high exposure.  Exposure means ingestion, contact with the skin, or even inhalation.

If you are taking your dog swimming, be sure to check for algae.  Avoid those areas as much as possible.  After swimming, be sure to rinse him off.  To read more about blue-green algae, visit BlogPaws or this great information article at the California Department of Public Health.

Advertisements

Tags:

One Response to “Pond Scum – Dangerous to Dogs”

  1. Juliette and Dougie my Westie Says:

    Yes we have it here and although I didn’t let Dougs go in (he was dying to, as he saw ducks), I am not surprised it’s dangerous, as even the ducks were beyond it.

Bark at Us

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: