A few days ago we asked if you could name five dog breeds which primarily only came in red, black, black & tan, or white. If you haven’t checked out our recent post, please visit it before reading the answers below.
I found six reddish colored dog breeds:
- Vizsla – Solid golden rust.
- Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever – Any shade of red usually with white markings.
- Redbone Coonhound – Red with dark muzzle and small amount of white permissible.
- Irish Setter – Mahogany or rich chestnut red.
- Irish Terrier – Red, golden red, red wheaten, or wheaten.
- Finnish Spitz – Shades of golden red.
You could almost name the Irish Red & White Setter which is white with solid red patches. Or even the Pharaoh Hound could be included. His colors are defined as tan or chestnut which is a reddish color albeit not as reddish as the ones listed above.
I found four black colored dog breeds:
- Black Russian Terrier – Solid black or black with a few gray hairs.
- Schipperke – Black.
- Belgian Sheepdog – Black.
- Giant Schnauzer – Solid black or pepper and salt.
I couldn’t think of five dog breeds which only came in black. But since we included red with white above, can that mean that we can include black and white here? So perhaps include the Dalmatian in this list. Perhaps the Newfoundland but he can also be brown or gray. Or the Flat-Coated or Curly-Coated Retriever which can be solid black or liver?
I found six black & tan dog breeds:
- Gordon Setter – Black and tan.
- Black & Tan Coonhound – Black and tan.
- Airedale Terrier – Tan with black or grizzled saddle.
- Rottweiler – Black and tan.
- Manchester Terrier – Black and tan.
- Beauceron – Black and tan or black with gray and tan.
We could almost name the Doberman Pinscher but he also comes in red and tan or blue and tan.
I found nine white dog breeds:
- Great Pyrenees – White but can have small markings of gray or tan.
- Komondor – White.
- Kuvasz – White.
- Samoyed – White, white and biscuit, cream, or all biscuit.
- Sealyham Terrier – White but may have lemon or tan markings.
- West Highland White Terrier – White.
- Maltese – White.
- American Eskimo Dog – White or white with biscuit cream.
- Bichon Frise – White, may have cream shadings.
I have named as many as we could. This is not, by any means, a definitive answer. There may be a dog breed that I have missed. And I have to admit that I cheated by looking through “The Dog Breed Bible“. What did you find?