The Rhodesian Ridgeback is unique in so many interesting ways. Here are a few interesting facts on the Rhodesian Ridgback dog breed:
- · The Rhodesian Ridgeback is also known as the African Lion Hound because he used to be a lion hunter.
- · The Rhodesian Ridgeback is named for the ridge of hair on his back, running from shoulders to hips, which grows in the opposite direction as his other hair.
- · The Mastiff, Bloodhound, Greyhound, and terrier dogs bred with the native dogs of Africa to give us the Rhodesian Ridgeback.
- · The native Hottentot tribal hunting dogs in Africa from which the Rhodesian Ridgeback dog breed is derived also had the distinctive ridge on their back.
- · The Rhodesian Ridgeback is generally a very healthy robust dog but are uniquely prone to a skin condition called Dermoid Sinus.
- · While the Rhodesian Ridgeback was used to hunt lions, he never actually attacked a lion. Him and two of his pals would track the lions, then distracted them for the huntsman on horseback.
For more interesting facts on the Rhodesian Ridgeback dog breed, check out our article, “Information on the Rhodesian Ridgeback / African Lion Hound Dog Breed” on Hub Pages.